UK REDUNDANT NUCLEAR SUBMARINES

For the information of RADSAFER,s

UK Ministry of Defence Press Release 086/00 May 11, 2000

REDUNDANT NUCLEAR SUBMARINES TO BE SAFELY STORED ON LAND

New proposals for the safe storage on land of the Royal Navy's
decommissioned nuclear-powered submarines were announced today by Defence
Minister Dr Lewis Moonie.

A study by the Ministry of Defence has confirmed that the current practice
of storing submarines afloat at Devonport and Rosyth remains safe. But the
difficulty of identifying suitable alternative afloat sites for further
submarines means that storing the radioactive components on land would
provide the best overall solution in the longer term.

No land storage sites have yet been chosen. In the next phase of the study,
lasting about three years, industry will be invited to submit proposals, and
the best land storage method and potential suitable sites will be
identified. No decision will be taken on the most suitable land storage
option or site until the next phase of the study has been completed, which
will include full consultation. As part of this process, an environmental
impact assessment will be undertaken for each storage option taken forward.

In a separate move, Babcock Rosyth Defence Ltd have been given approval to
start feasibility and planning work on a proposal they have put forward to
dismantle the reactor compartment from one decommissioned nuclear submarine,
HMS Renown, and store the compartments on land at Rosyth.

Lewis Moonie said:

"We have not launched this study because of any suggestion that the current
policy of storage afloat is unsafe. On the contrary, regular maintenance and
monitoring at Devonport and Rosyth ensure that neither the environment nor
the public are at risk from the radioactive material remaining on the
submarines.

"However, more submarines will be decommissioned in the years to come, and
both dockyards are likely to be full by 2012. That's why it is important for
us to start work on looking at alternative storage options now.

"Safety remains of paramount importance - we are seeking a safe and
practical solution, not a cheap option. We will work to the same standards
of safety that apply to the civil nuclear industry.

"I have today personally briefed representatives from environmental and
other interest groups on our proposals. I am determined to take their views,
and the views of the public, into account as we move into the next phase of
the study. Consultation is very important, and there will be no decisions on
the land storage method or site until we have been through a full and open
consultation process."

BRDL have put forward an unsolicited, commercial proposal for HMS Renown,
the last Polaris submarine, which is currently at Rosyth awaiting the
traditional decommissioning work planned to start later this year. The
intermediate level waste from Renown would be held initially in the existing
purpose-built facility at Rosyth. BRDL's proposal would not lead to any
overall increase in the radioactive waste at the site. BRDL would be
expected to make proposals for the eventual removal of the waste to a
longer-term storage facility.

Dr Moonie said:

"This could be a useful way to test out the feasibility and practicality of
one of the possible land storage methods, and we have agreed that the
company can proceed with the feasibility and planning stage. When they have
completed that stage, including an environmental impact assessment, and
secured the necessary safety approvals from the independent regulators, we
will consider allowing them to implement their proposal. If we decide that
the company can go ahead, we will make a further announcement. As part of
the next stage leading to actual dismantling of the submarine, an
environmental impact assessment will be required, which will involve further
local consultation."

- ends -

NOTES TO EDITORS

A summary of the findings of the first phase of the study can be found on
the MOD website at http://www.mod.uk/ssa. The material is also available in
a booklet which can be requested from:
Chief Executive of the Ships Support Agency
Ministry of Defence
Room 102
Block B
Bath BA1 5AB

For further information, please contact Andrew Willis at the Defence Press
Office on 0207 218 7714.
The MoD web-site can be found at http://www.mod.uk Alternatively you may
contact the MoD Press Office by e-mail at press@dgics.mod.uk
BRDL will be briefing journalists and environmental and local interest
groups at Rosyth tomorrow. For further information contact Mark Wilbourn on
01383 423045.
Fred Dawson
3 Barnsbury Close, New Malden
Surrey. KT3 5BP