Gould and background radiation

Glenn Carlson writes:

<< Since the additional contribution to "background" from weapons testing
 fallout is in fact measureable, isn't Gould's claim true?  Are you claiming
 that the increased background from fallout is offset by a reduction in
 background elsewhere?

 Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
 glennacarlson@aol.com >>
In my restatement of Gould's claim, I erred in making his claim less sweeping
than what he actually said.  I should have said that Gould claims that total
background (including man-made) has increased significantly, rather than
measurably.  As to whether fallout has increased the background by a
measurable amount or not, it depends on what measurement method is used.
Some commonly used methods of measuring dose to people, such as with TLDs,
would surely NOT find a detectable increase in dose from man-made nuclides in
the environment.

If you used TLD measurements in 1944 and used the same method now, I don't
think you would find a measurable increase in background for the following
reasons.  Some estimates of the total dose to U.S. citizens suggest that the
average person receives 360 millirem per year from both background and all
other sources. About 300 millirem of that is from natural background.  The
360 millirem total dose includes 2 millirem from three sources lumped
together which include FALLOUT, air travel and occupational exposure.

Obviously it is possible to measure Sr-90, Pu-239 + 240 and Cs-137 from
fallout, if that is the source of your objection.  But it is equally clear
that fallout has caused no SIGNIFICANT increase in background radiation.  Let
me show you what Gould actually posted on the Internet about background
radiation and let's see if you want to defend his statements as quoted below:

since the dawn of the Nuclear Age comes from measures of radioactive carbon
in the atmosphere since 1950, following a longterm decline in the preceding
100 years when natural carbon had been replacing carbon-14 because of
industrialization.

6. According to Dr. Alice Stewart, who has been measuring background
radiation levels in England since the 1950s, there may have been a doubling
in such levels since 1945, because of the exponential increase in manmade
radiation since 1945. So while Holloway may be right that our immune response
to cancer has always been a function of background radiation, then it must
follow that the world-wide increase in cancer must reflect such significant
increases in background radiation. <<<<<<<<<

The above quote is from Jay M. Gould at the following link:
http://www.bnlfable.com/wwwboard/messages/152.html
------------------------
Mr. Carlson,  the claims made by Gould do not coincide with the facts.  It is
rather remarkable that his knowledge of the situation is so shallow.  So in
answer to your question, I would say that his claims, as stated above, are
not at all true.  Gould is very clever with words but does not give an honest
description of the situation. The most straight forward reading of his
comments is that "such levels" refers to the total radiation background.  The
comment by Gould that "there may have been" a doubling of background
radiation levels since 1945 is rather weak.  I know of no other finding of
that nature. I don't believe it.

Gould's last sentence refers to "significant increases"  in background
radiation.  There is no reason to expect such significant increases from
man-made nuclides and none has been found to my knowledge.  If you know of
any such significant increases, then please tell us.

He also mentions an "exponential" increase in man-made radiation since 1945.
What he does not mention is that there was no man-made radiation in the
environment prior to 1945, so any increase at all (from zero) can be
considered exponential. What he does not do is to compare the present amounts
of man-made radionuclides with the amounts present from the 30 or more
nuclides of the three natural decay chains.  Mr. Carlson, if you wish to
defend the proposition that the total background radiation has increased
enough to be a health problem since the advent of man-made radionuclides, I
am interested in seeing your evidence.

R. Holloway
holloway3@aol.com