Re: Reuters article: Portable X-Ray Machine Radiation Dose Is

Jim Hardeman wrote:

> Portable X-Ray Machine Radiation Dose Is Small
> WASHINGTON (Reuters Health) - Portable chest x-ray units are mobile x-ray machines that can be wheeled to the bedside of a seriously ill patient. There have been concerns about radiation exposure from use of these machines. But new study findings show that patients who require multiple portable chest x-rays while being treated in intensive care units generally receive safe levels of radiation exposure.

Obviously some people can say there are safe levels of radiation exposure.  Why can't the ICRP, NCRP, EPA, DOE, NRC and HEALTH PHYSICISTS????????????????? say so????????  If I were a member of the general public and saw this article, I would think that multiple chest x-rays are safe.  Why can't we radsafers say so about other kinds of low doses???????  If we don't think low doses are safe, why are we willing to be exposed to any dose, no matter how low????????  Yes, I know about risk, but the idea in most people's heads is whether something is safe or not.  Not about how relatively risky it is.  Has anyone out there any concrete information that demonstrates the general public thinks in terms of relative risk and not in terms of safe or unsafe?  If there are data, please tell us. If not, let's quit talking about risk and start talking about safe and unsafe doses.  So much for my rant for the day.   Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net