Re: Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study

Otto,

I appreciate your interest in the study.

1) The cross-level bias you refer to is more of a problem in ecologic studies
where you do not have information at the individual level.  Nonetheless,
"adjusted for smoking" could be exchanged for "controlled for smoking" in the
sentence you refer to.

Obviously, cases (subjects with lung cancer) generally have smoked more than
the  controls (subjects without lung cancer).   Some researchers use
randomized recruitment procedures to enroll more smoking controls.  However,
when you do a population based case-control study (as we performed), you must
be sure not to OVER MATCH the controls to the cases.  The inclusion criteria
for cases and controls we used are listed at the web site for the study.  In
any case, the smoking histories for the controls do not have to be matched to
the cases to the extent you describe in order to adjust (or control) for
smoking.

2) Otto, regarding your question "I was surprised to learn from your short
summary that Iowa has the highest radon levels in homes of any State".

Iowa was an ideal place to perform a study looking at the risk posed by
residential radon exposure for several reasons:  1) Iowa has the highest MEAN
radon concentrations in the United States;  2) women in Iowa tend to stay in
the same home for long periods of time; and 3) Iowa has a high quality
(NCI-SEER) Cancer Registry, which allowed rapid-reporting of lung cancer
cases.

Ironically, the highest regional (group of counties) radon concentrations are
reportedly the 6 counties that surround Three Mile Island.  I would guess,
Pennsylvania may have the greatest population (in the U.S.) at risk from
residential radon exposure.  Maybe, someone from Pennsylvania (possibly Drs.
Kirk or Cohen?) could comment on that.  This region includes Lancaster County
where I grew up.  It seems I have a hard time getting away from radon.

I will send you a copy of the Iowa findings paper (Phase 1) as you requested
via private email.  It discusses the exposure assessment and presents
detailed information concerning the range of exposures.

Please email me directly at bill-field@uiowa.edu if you have additional
questions.  As you can understand, I sometimes do not catch all the personal
emails that are addressed to me that go to the address where I receive my
Radsafe and Riskanal postings.  I skim through the subject headings pretty
quickly.

Regards, Bill

R. William Field, Ph.D.
Department of Epidemiology
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health
College of Public Health
N222 Oakdale Hall
University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa 52245