Office rejects Kakadu radiation fears

The Northern Territory's Office of the Supervising Scientist says
radiation doses from dust in a southern part of Kakadu National  Park
are trivial.

Tailings from the old Rockhole uranium mine have been found in
deposits beside Gunlom Falls Road.

The office's Alex Zapantis says tourists and even regular  travellers
along the road have no reason to fear inhaling deadly  doses of
radiation.

"The radiation hazards associated with those tailings is very, very
small," he said.

"I would receive a higher radiation dose flying down to Canberra
each year due to cosmic radiation than very regular users of that
road would receive.

"I'd happily drive down that road with the windows open and my wife
and three young children in the car."

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205