Re: solar flare

At 14:23 08.06.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The news says we have a substantial solar flare on the way.  Most represent
>minimal radiation (dose) impact at sea level, but several in the past were
>observable.
>Question: Who looks for this data and where is it likely to be posted?  NASA?
>Any indication that the high altitude flyers, e.g., the Concorde, are
>taking preventive measures?

I read many years ago about the topic of solar flares (I think it was in
Health Physics) and it was mentioned that the Concorde, which is usually
cruising at an altitude of 13 000 m compared to normal planes at 10 000,
has a built-in measurement instrument, which detects high cosmic radiation
fluxes. When this occurs the Concorde descends to lower altitudes in order
to reduce the radiation exposure.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458