From: "Dave Mailen" <dmailen@elp.rr.com

Subject: Possible Contamination Of New Mexico & Texas
         Water Supplies!
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:21:21 -0600

Dear Brother and Sister! Following is an article being put
out by the New Mexico Green Party concerning possible
leakage of nuclear waste byproducts into Texas and New
Mexico water sources down stream! This event is not
properly being covered by the national media! Please
share this report and conduct further campaigning of the
truth or investigation! People need to know!
 Sincerely,

----

http://my.business.card.swifttouch.com/cards/users/UWZTRUMW7I02A.htm

---------- Forwarded message ---------- FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE: June 5, 2000 Contacts: Damacio Lopez
(505) 867-0141 Maria Santelli (505) 247-9694

International Non Governmental Organization Demands
Independent Monitoring of Los Alamos Fire Damage
 The International Depleted Uranium Study Team (IDUST)
is calling for independent international monitoring of
the ecological damage that may have occurred from the
Cerro Grande Fire in Los Alamos, New Mexico home of the
nuclear facility, Los Alamos National Laboratories (LANL).
  We are concerned about the hazards of burning
depleted uranium (DU), says Damacio Lopez, IDUST
executive director who has been researching DU issues for
the past 15 years.  We are demanding today that
independent studies be done of the air, water and soil in
down wind communities from Los Alamos to test for the
presence of the highly toxic and radioactive material DU.
 LANL studies confirm that 110 tons of DU and natural
uranium have been expended at LANL since the 1940s. An
unknown amount of this uranium has been released into the
environment. LANL has open air tested DU in dynamic
weapons tests, where DU has been explosively detonated,
DU projectiles impacted against hard targets and used in
the DARPA/ANTI-ARMOR PROGRAM. These tests result in the
creation of DU particles which behave like dust and can
travel in the same way dust particles travel eventually
getting into soil and water.
Dr. Sergei Pashchenko, a Russian nuclear and atmospheric
physicist visiting New Mexico concerned about the
possible radiation releases due to the fire said,  On the
basis of the data from LANL, the fires that began on May
8 increased the concentration of alpha radiation in the
air up to 30 fold.  Dr. Pashchenko added,  The question
is: what is the source of this increased radiation?
 IDUST views the fires at Los Alamos as a potential DU
health hazard necessitating precautionary measures by
citizens and public officials: 1) firefighters and other
emergency personnel should be tested for DU in their
bodies; 2) air, water and soil should be tested for DU
in communities downwind from Los Alamos, up to 60 miles;
3) agricultural products grown downwind of the fire
should be washed before eating.
 Dr. Rosalie Bertell added, "My major concerns are:
soon after the fire, there might be ingestions of DU,
which would then be eliminated through feces; for the
inhaled fraction, it might take some time before
it dissolves enough to be present in the body fluid and
urine. If it is very insoluble, it will take time for the
lung to pulverize into particle small enough for the
phagocytes to pull into the thoracic lymph nodes. At this
early stage, lung counts might be possible. These
should be available for uranium miners in the SW." Dr.
Bertell a renowned epidemiologist is the President of the
International Institute of Concerns for Public Health,
based in Toronto, Canada.
 PROBLEM STATEMENT
 DU is the bulk of the waste stream from the production
of nuclear weapons and nuclear fuel. This radioactive
waste is being used in military weapons and commercial
products. Most notable the United States (U.S.), though
several other countries have created huge amounts of DU
as a result of their nuclear programs.
DU has become internationally recognized as a health
hazard. It is a suspected environmental contaminant in
more than 50 sites across the U.S. and on battlefields
and test sites throughout the world. Affected communities
experience health problems similar to those of U.S. Gulf War
Veterans and Iraqi Soldiers and Civilians.
DU is a highly toxic heavy metal with a radioactive
half-life of four and one-half billion years. DU has
accumulated in enormous quantities since the dawn of the
nuclear age. Despite the name "Depleted" Uranium, DU has
1/2 the radioactivity of Natural Uranium, which is pure
uranium.
The International Depleted Uranium Study Team is a
non-profit, organization dedicated to stopping the use of
DU in military weapons.

- The Green Forum is not the Green Party.  Unless
explicitly stated otherwise,
the views expressed above are those of Ted Cloak
<tcloak@unm.edu, a private individual, or
are quotations of the views of previous senders, also
private individuals.
To stop/start getting mail from grnforum, send a message
to majordomo@majordomo.nmia.com saying "unsubscribe
grnforum"/"subscribe grnforum".

--- End Forwarded Message ---

Andrew Buchan     tel: 805-893-7256
UC Santa Barbara  fax: 805-893-8659
email: Andrew.Buchan@ehs.ucsb.edu
The above are my opinions and not neccesarily those of UCSB.

Check out Virus warnings and other urban legends at http://www.snopes.com

What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world,
yet forfeits his soul?....