RE: DU scare story from Los Alamos

RADSAFErs,

I have avoided discussions on this so far, but will now add my two cents
worth (or maybe only one cent) for general information.  When Defense
Programs wrote the Site-Wide Environmental Impact Statement (SWEIS) for LANL
a couple years ago, it was brought to our attention by the Forest Service
that we had not considered the impact of a wildfire on the site.  We
corrected that mistake with a very comprehensive analysis, including the DU
issues.  It was a first for us, and I have not seen another analysis like it
since.  The only complete writeup of the analysis is in the SWEIS itself,
which is available on the web.  If anybody is interested, you can find the
document at

http://nepa.eh.doe.gov/eis/eis0238/eis0238.html