Companies offer new proposals in Turkish nuclear bid

Companies offer new proposals in Turkish nuclear bid

ISTANBUL, June 14 (Reuters) - Two of the three firms bidding in
Turkey's long-delayed nuclear power plant project have offered new
proposals to win the race to overcome the treasury's resistance over
finance guarantees to the project.

U.S.-Japanese Westinghouse Electric-Mitsubishi and Canada's AECL-led
consortia have submitted their additional proposals as they entered
the home strecth with the third competitor Franco-German NPI.

Turkey's electricity authority TEAS collected original bids from the
three consortia in 1997 for the controversial project, to be located
in southern coast of Akkuyu and opposed by residents, some
politicians and environmentalists.

Ankara has since delayed the tender for eight times with the last
extension being to July 24.

"We have proposed to build the first unit of 670-MegaWatts (MW) in
our two-unit system without treasury guarantees," said a
representative for AECL.

"When we begin building the second unit in 2002-2004 we will then
seek treasury guarantees for $2-$2.5 billion and the treasury will
probably be in a comfortable position regarding its financial
balance," he said.

HITCH OVER TREASURY GUARANTEES

Despite the government's go-ahead, the treasury, a chief actor in a
three-year International Monetary Fund standby deal aimed at cutting
inflation, said in April it could not provide guarantees for the
project, to cost up to $4.5 billion.

All government projects involding foreign financing are required to
have a treasury gurantee for credit packages.

But a Westinghouse Electric representative said the consortium had
given up on the guarantee condition of the tender term. "Our proposal
includes relinquinshing from the treasury guarantee condition," she
said.

"What we now say is to initially have TEAS open a facility of $100
million to begin basic work like training and site developement.
Later we carry out the entire project without the guarantee. That is
a great sacrifice on our part."

Selahattin Hakman, a senior engineer from Siemens <SIEGn.DE> which is
50-50 partner in NPI with France's Framatome <SOUR.PA>, said his
consortium would not offer new proposals and added forsaking treasury
guarantees for the project would require a renewal of the tender.

"The project cannot be carried out without treasury guarantees. This
would change all conditions in the original bids and affect the cost
of credit packages," he said.

Hakman said negotiations including the credit package and detailed
engineering work with the winner of the project would take two to
three years. "Therefore we will not need any treasury guarantee until
early 2003 anyway."

Westinghouse Electric representative said the consortium would not
agree to another extension if TEAS makes another demand, but both NPI
and AECL officials said they were likely to agree.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205