Re: elemental question

I must admit I had to look it up.  But I vaguely remembered something called "Nielsbohrium".  It's now just called bohrium.

This from the NRC website:

Bohrium

                    Formally known as Ns Nielsbohrium

                Proposed Name

                Atomic Number:
                                            107
                Atomic Symbol:

                Atomic Weight:
                                            262
                Electron Configuration:
                                       [Rn]7s25f146d5

History

In 1976 Soviet scientists at Dubna announced they had synthesized element 107 by bombarding 204Bi with
heavy nuclei of 54Cr. Reports say that experiments in 1975 had allowed scientists "to glimpse" the new
element for 2/1000 s. A rapidly rotating cylinder, coated with a thin layer of bismuth metal, was used as a
target. This was bombarded by a stream of 54Cr ions fired tangentially.

Glenn Marshall
(865) 220-1666
gmarshall@gtsduratek.com

>>> lexicon@hotbot.com 06/14/00 12:20PM >>>
Fellow Radsafers:

 Last nite I watched who wants to be a millionaire?

The question was who did not have an element named after them? Einstein did, Fermi also, and the the answer they gave was Newton, of course.  The one that I have a question about Niels Bohr.  They said he also had one named for him.   I don't think he did unless it was months ago.  Boron was discovered in 1804.
Does anyone know if I'm right?  (my choice was Newton anyway) Thanks,
              Tom

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com