Specific Gamma-ray Constant

> the gamma-ray constant for Cs-137 given in The Handbook of Health
> Physics and Radiological Health-Third Edition (p 6-11), 1998 is 1.032 E-04
> mSv/h per MBq at 1 meter, which converts to 0.382 rem/h per Ci at 1 meter.
> In Cember's third edition Health Physics (p 187), the gamma-ray constant
for
> the same isotope is 0.33 R/h per Ci at 1 meter, which should be equivalent
> to 0.29 rem/h per Ci at 1 meter.

Calculations done by the internal dose information center in Oak Ridge yield
3.27 R-cm^2/mCi-hr, or 0.327 R-m^2/Ci-hr.  These were not published, but I
think they are quite reliable, and this one agrees well with Cember's
number.  I can send you a document with many values, if it would help.
Can't really comment on methods used in the handbook or in Cember.

Michael Stabin, PhD, CHP
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright