Lead Acrylic Shielding

There was a question concerning the safety of cutting lead acrylic shielding.
Some years ago I studied the behavior of this material with respect to the
release of aerosol lead particles when the plastic is burned. It is easy to
ignite. Although the probability that a radiology viewing window would be
involved in a fire was low, I was concerned that smaller "disposable" items
were starting to appear; things like eyeglass lenses and syringe shields.
There was a significantly great potential for these items to wind up in an
incinerator. If you want to see the results in detail, they appeared in
Health Physics. The reference is:

R.J. Barish. Evaluation of Lead Releases From the Burning of Lead Acrylic
X-Ray Shielding. Health Physics 46, 464-466 (1984)

Briefly, I found that grams to kilograms of particulate lead in an aerosol
form easily absorbed in the lung would come from this material when burned.
The original post on this topic asked about the hazards of cutting the
material. I don't know exactly how much aerosol lead would be released by the
heat of a saw blade, but I suggest that appropriate containment and operator
protection be employed.

Robert Barish
robbarish@aol.com