Re: 5 mSv vs. 1 mSv

At 15:48 16.06.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Radsafers:
>
>Canada recently (a few weeks ago) adopted the 1990 recommendations of the
>ICRP in our new act and regulations regarding nuclear safety.  As I'm sure
>most of you know, one of the major differences between ICRP-26 and ICRP-60
>is the recommended annual dose limit for members of the public (5 mSv/a vs.
>1 mSv/a).
>
>I'm trying to put together a list of counties that are currently using 5
>mSv/a, 1 mSv/a, or some other standard for their public dose limit.

According to the basic safety standards of the European Union (directive)
the annual dose limit for members of the public is 1 mSv. This had to be
implemented into national law in the member countries until May 13, 2000.
To my knowledge no country could meet the deadline, but according to other
rules even without implementation this dose limit is directly applicable in
member countries. Austria has no special problem, because according to our
radiation protection law from 1979 and the ordinance from 1981 (yes, the
years are correctly typed!) we had (have) a limit of 1.67 mSv/y.

Hope this helps.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458