RE: incontinent patient dosed with ~100 mCi of I-131

Just to update the discussion with some more recent information which could
make a difference.....

We have studied over 200 patients who have been treated with I-131 for
thyroid cancer. The average effective half-life of the "extrathyroidal"
iodine in the body which we've seen (estimated by external exposure rates)
is actually about 17 hours with wide variations among patients. Eight hours,
or 0.32 days from Reg Guide 8.39, is roughly the minimum. That 0.32 day
figure, or ones similar to it, can be found in the literature going back
fifty years, and do not really apply because they are derived from euthyroid
populations. The Ca patients are all severely hypothyroid at the time of
treatment (or they should be!) which retards excretion. So, it is probably a
good idea to rely on some measurements for determining when to remove any
Foley catheter and discharge the patient. She could be excreting that iodine
more slowly than one might think.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics