Re: German govt wrong on nuclear withdrawal plan -VDEW

I will be out of the office from June 20 through July 4, returning July 5th.

Please contact Jennifer Smulling on x2978 if you need imediate assistance.

Subject: German govt wrong on nuclear withdrawal plan -VDEW
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Date: 06/19/00 16:10:37

German govt wrong on nuclear withdrawal plan -VDEW

FRANKFURT, June 19 (Reuters) - Germany's government-industry
compromise deal on the fastest shutdown of nuclear power plants in
Europe is ecologically and economically wrong, the head of the
Association of German Electricity Suppliers (VDEW) said in a recent
statement.

"The opinion of power suppliers on this first step of Germany to
abandon nuclear energy just decided, is as before, that it is wrong
for ecological and economic reasons," said VDEW president Guenter
Marquis.

"This is true especially in view of the international commitment by
the German government to carbon dioxide emission reduction and
climate protection," he added.

The government reached the accord on June 15 with energy firms Veba
AG and Viag AG, which have merged to form E.ON AG <VEBG.DE>; with RWE
AG <RWEG.DE> and with EnBW <EBKG.F>. The compromise sets a total
production figure for all 19 power plants in Germany of 2,623.3
terrawatt hours over a theoretical average operational life of 32
years that it allows for individual reactors, VDEW said.

According to the deal, companies with nuclear power plants will be
banned from building new units and must accept that no financial
compensation will be forthcoming. Waste reprocessing will be banned
from mid-2005.

"The agreement lays down the cornerstone of the future operation of
nuclear power plants in Germany. Now it is important that the promise
that this operation and the waste management process be undisturbed
by politics should be kept," said Marquis.

Companies will have to judge individually how they will phase out
their plants according to their shareholder and business regulations,
a VDEW spokesman said.

"Political leaders have forced this compromise on our members. We
consider the whole thing is wrong, but we must observe the absolute
power of politicians," the spokesman told Reuters. "We would have
preferred an operative license without any time limitatation as we
had before," he added.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205