Re[2]: incontinent patient dosed with ~100 mCi of I-131

I will be out of the office from June 20 through July 4, returning July 5th.

Please contact Jennifer Smulling on x2978 if you need imediate assistance.

Subject: RE: incontinent patient dosed with ~100 mCi of I-131
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Date: 06/20/00 09:12:23

This is a great topic.  I appreciate all the comments.  This case has many
gray areas.

Important clinical questions:
1.  How incontinent is the patient?  Many older patients, especially
females, wear Depends for occasional stress-induced (coughing, laughing,
exertion) incontinence.  However, some patients rarely have an "accident".
If they do have an accident, they often lose only a small amount of urine.

2.  What is the patient's assumed biological I-131 half-life?  NRC
Regulatory Guide 8.39, Release of Patients Administered Radioactive
Materials, Appendix B, provides very conservative sample calculations.  The
NRC's conservative estimate of the effective half-life of the extrathyroidal
component is 0.32 days.

Based on this information, I recommend the following:

1.  Definitely admit the patient for therapy.  No outpatient ablation in
this case.

2.  If the patient is moderately or severely incontinent (requires frequent
diaper changes), place a foley bladder catheter.  Have nursing personnel
instruct patient how to empty the collection bag.  This eliminates health
physics personnel from repeatedly entering the room and risking spread of
contamination in unrestricted areas.  If patient is mildly incontinent, have
patient collect the pads/diapers for storage and decay.

3.  As always, highly encourage drinking extra fluids and urinating
frequently.  To eliminate the need for nursing personnel to enter the room,
I recommend against starting an IV drip unless absolutely clinically
warrented.  Discharge patient after 3 days.  This represents 9 biological
half-lives using the extrathyroidal component.

4.  Upon discharge, instruct patient to immediately change the pads/diapers
should there be a wetting incident.  The patient is an adult, not a baby.
Therefore, he/she will know if they're wet.  I recommend the patient dispose
of this waste in his/her regular household waste.  At this point (4 days
post-dosing), most of the extrathyroidal I-131 has been excreted. Urinary
excretion after 9 effective half-lives have passed (3 days) will be
relatively minimal (less than 1 mCi).

5.  I would not recommend canceling the ablation since the benefits of the
therapy far outweigh the potential complications.

Sincerely,
Mark D. Krueger, RPh, BCNP
CPT, MS
United States Army
Clinical Nuclear Pharmacist
Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Fort Gordon, GA  30905-5650
phone: (706) 787-2196
FAX: (706) 787-2181
E-mail:  mark.krueger@se.amedd.army.mil

Disclaimer:
The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the
author and are not to be construed as official or reflecting the views of
the US Department of the Army or the Department of Defense.