[Fwd: Over exposuresssss !!!!]

I'm forwarding this to RADSAFE with the permission of the author.

Bill

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Over exposuresssss !!!!
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:06:48 -0400
From: Fred McWilliams <fredmcw@MIT.EDU>
To: liptonw@dteenergy.com

Bill:

I do not subscribe to radsafe, but periodically review the archives
(better
than cluttering my e-mail) and if I have something worth while to say, I
usually e-mail the individual directly.

What concerns me most about the yale and the AEA exposure cases is what
ever happened to basic use of survey meters.  Presumming the individuals
performing source inventory and package reciept are qualified, then use
of
a survey meter is not only prudent, but required.  It sounds like a
failure
to conduct adequate surveys period.  Use on ancillary devices such as
alarming EPDs although excelelnt for ongoing evolutions in which field
conditions may change, there still appears to be no excuse for a lack of
proper survey in both of these cases.  If these were qualified rad techs
which caused an over-exposure violation, then some form of dicsciplinary
action or re-calibration may be warranted, since the worker population
rely
on such techs to prevent just this type of occurence to them.  (ie., how
will the worker force trust them in the future)

I little bit of rambling , but you get my point

Regards

Fred

************************************

Frederick F. McWilliams, CHP