PLUTONIUM SUPERLATIVES MADNESS

Dear Radsafers,

Here is another unfortunate example of journalistic incompetence in nuclear
issues, published on the front page of the local newspaper.
I guess it also highlights just how much we should value those rare cases
when a journalist takes the initiative to consult this listserv and all the
experts who contribute to answering questions from these people.
The reply (intended for an op-ed article) I sent to the paper is attached
below.

Thanks

Jaro

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/pages/000619/4303556.html
Monday 19 June 2000
Making waves
Ship carrying plutonium from Russia will sail into controversy over safety
MICHAEL MAINVILLE
The Gazette
Sometime this summer, a ship from St. Petersburg will pass through the St.
Lawrence Seaway near Montreal, its hold containing one of the most dangerous
man-made substances in the world: 132 grams of plutonium removed from
decommissioned Russian nuclear warheads.
For security reasons, the federal government won't say exactly where or when
the ship will travel.
But its final destination is the Chalk River nuclear-power facility in
Ontario, about 200 kilometres northwest of Ottawa.
Once there, the plutonium will be tested to see whether it can be converted
for use in CANDU nuclear reactors to produce electricity.
If the test is successful, Canada could soon take on the responsibility of
eliminating some of the more than 100 tonnes of plutonium that is expected
to be left over as Russia and the United States dismantle 40,000 nuclear
warheads in their current round of nuclear disarmament.
This leftover plutonium could be buried along with other nuclear waste, but
that would leave it vulnerable to being used again for military purposes.
Which is why the federal government says finding ways to convert it for
commercial use is such a noble task: it's essential to forever eliminating
the threat of nuclear war.
But the plan has a growing number of opponents, who are afraid Canada will
become a dumping ground for unwanted plutonium, a highly radioactive and
toxic substance.
They also worry about the dangers of transporting even small amounts of
plutonium near populated areas and believe the federal government has not
done enough to inform or consult with Canadians about the plan.
The opposition campaign started with the usual suspects: a handful of
anti-nuclear activists and the organizations that support them. But over the
past year, word has spread and the battle has moved into the mainstream.
The Bloc Quebecois and the New Democratic Party have repeatedly questioned
the plan's merits in the House of Commons and more than 150 municipalities
along the St. Lawrence Seaway have adopted resolutions demanding that Ottawa
not import plutonium.
Mohawk leaders from the Kahnawake and Akwesasne reserves have promised "to
use every means necessary" to prevent the shipment from passing through
their territory.
And this Wednesday, the Montreal Urban Community council will be deciding
whether to join the fight. It would be by far the most influential municipal
body to take a stand against the shipment.
The council will vote on a resolution that calls on Ottawa to "put an end to
the project of eliminating military plutonium" because of the "death rate
and substantial increase in cancer rates should an accident occur" and
because the government has refused to hold public consultations on the
project.
The resolution, put forward by Montreal opposition councillors Marvin
Rotrand and Richard Theoret, is very likely to be adopted - it is supported
by the seven members of the MUC's environment committee and by MUC council
chairman Vera Danyluk.
But despite the growing public outcry, the federal agency responsible for
nuclear power and research says Ottawa will not back down.
"We will not let ignorance stop this," said Larry Shewchuck, a spokesman for
Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. "This is research and development into the
destruction of nuclear weapons, and we firmly believe the vast majority of
Canadians believe that is a very good thing."
Shewchuck has been working on the plutonium recycling plan for more than
three years and has spent much of that time preaching AECL's gospel - that
the plan is safe and will have great benefit for Canada and the world.
"There is no danger" has become a mantra of sorts for Shewchuck, who said he
has been amazed by a lack of intelligence in this debate.
"There's been a lot of misinformation for political purposes, to the point
of causing real public concern, which I think is irresponsible," Shewchuck
said.
The origins of the debate date back to 1996, at the Moscow summit on nuclear
disarmament, where Prime Minister Jean Chretien first offered to burn
military plutonium from Russian and U.S. warheads in Canadian nuclear
reactors.
AECL quickly conducted a study of the idea and came up with a plan to ship
small amounts of plutonium into Chalk River for testing. The study proposed
two small shipments, one from Russia and one from the United States, each
containing just enough plutonium to conduct feasibility tests.
Transporting plutonium, even in small amounts, is not a simple task,
however. It is considered extremely hazardous to handle because of its
intense radiation levels and high toxicity. Direct exposure can be fatal,
and absorbing even tiny amounts in the body can cause a variety of cancers.
So instead of shipping pure plutonium into Canada, the plan calls for it to
be converted at the source into mixed-oxide fuel - or MOX - pellets. MOX is
3-per-cent plutonium and 97-per-cent uranium, baked into ceramic form.
In January, the first shipment of MOX arrived from the U. S. About 120 grams
of plutonium was trucked to Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., then flown by helicopter
to Chalk River. The MOX pellets were stacked inside nine zirconium-alloy
tubes, then packed into a reinforced 45-gallon drum, secured in place with a
screw-cap and surrounded by an impact-resistant heavy steel liner.
According to Shewchuck, there never was any danger from the shipment.
The container, he said, is standard issue for transporting plutonium and has
undergone a barrage of tests to ensure it can't be broken. It's been
exposed, for example, to temperatures of more than 1,200 degrees Celsius,
submerged for extended periods and dropped 200 metres from a helicopter onto
an airport runway.
"We are confident this shipment could survive even the most serious
accident," Shewchuck said.
And even if someone is exposed to the MOX, Shewchuck said, the substance
itself is not likely to cause any harm because its radiation level is so
weak it can't even penetrate skin.
"Let's say someone does manage to stop the truck, somehow get inside and,
impossibly, break open the container and throw these pellets around. What
would happen? Nothing. We would come and clean it up and that would be it,"
Shewchuck said.
The chair of McGill University's physics department agrees with AECL's
assessment of the dangers.
"People hear the word plutonium and they think there's going to be a
catastrophe. But there is a lot of ignorance on this issue, a lot of
irrational fears," said Jean Barrette, who has no affiliation with AECL or
other groups involved in the debate, but has conducted wide research into
nuclear reactions.
"The transportation of MOX is very safe. It's practically impossible to
imagine an accident where MOX would cause a problem."
The plan's opponents, of course, dispute these contentions.
Gordon Edwards, president of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear
Responsibility, said AECL has tried to divert attacks on MOX by pointing to
its low radiation levels, but hasn't properly addressed the issue of
toxicity.
"The real danger from plutonium is if it gets into the body, because this is
probably the most toxic man-made material on Earth," said Edwards, who has a
degree in physics and graduated from Queen's University with a PhD in
mathematics in 1972.
Studies have shown that even minute amounts of plutonium entering the body
can be fatal, he said, adding that as little as 30 micrograms is enough to
cause fatal lung cancer.
"Is AECL going to tell us that E. coli is harmless as long as it's in a
container?"
And while he agrees the chance of an accident is highly unlikely, Edwards
said it's not impossible. "Accidents have happened before, despite all the
assurances from the nuclear industry that practices are perfectly safe."
Two things would have to take place for a MOX accident to occur, Edwards
said. First, "a crushing force" would have to tear open the drum container.
A high-speed collision might be enough to do this, he said.
Second, either a very hot fire (about 1,200 degrees Celsius) would have to
come into contact with the MOX for a short period of time, or a lesser fire
(about 400 degrees Celsius) would have to be in contact with the MOX for a
longer period, about 10 or 15 minutes.
Under these circumstances, Edwards said, the burning MOX would release
"toxic vapours that could spread over a very wide area."
Still, for Edwards the issue of whether the transportation of MOX is safe
has dominated too much of the debate. As far as he's concerned, not enough
people are asking if the government should even be considering plutonium
recycling in the first place.
"The big picture is the most important thing, but for some reason it gets
the least discussion," Edwards said.
He said Ottawa and AECL aren't being completely honest with Canadians when
they say the only goal in importing MOX is to aid in nuclear disarmament.
"The last thing the federal government or AECL want to do is rid the world
of plutonium," Edwards said. "What they really want to do is prove that they
can use plutonium in CANDU reactors, which makes them more attractive to
potential buyers."
(AECL has already sold or approved sales of CANDU nuclear reactors to China,
South Korea, Romania, Argentina and Turkey.)
Edwards sees the importation of MOX as a veiled attempt to make AECL's
operations more profitable and says the government is hiding behind the
cloak of nuclear disarmament.
If the international community really wants to rid the world of plutonium,
he said, it should store the material under international guard and focus on
finding ways to destroy it safely.
"Canadians have been told this must be done to help rid the world of nuclear
weapons, but they aren't being given all the facts."
That's why, he says, the government should put off importing any more MOX
until it can accurately gauge how Canadians feel about the issue.
The Bloc Quebecois has been demanding public consultations on the project
for months, saying the government has no mandate to adopt the policy of
importing plutonium.
In fact, when the plan was presented to the Commons standing committee on
foreign affairs in 1998, the committee tabled a unanimous report
recommending the government reject the idea. Liberal MPs make up a majority
of the committee. Nevertheless, Chretien's government rejected its
recommendation. Transport Canada subsequently set a 28-day public-input
period in which Canadians were asked to comment on possible routes for the
shipment but not on the basic principle of importing plutonium.
Bloc environment critic Jocelyne Girard-Bujold, the MP for Jonquiere, has
repeatedly pressed the government to hold consultations, but has been
rebuffed each time.
Girard-Bujold said the Bloc even convinced the Quebec government to offer
the use of its environmental consulting body - the Bureau des Audiences
Publiques sur l'Environnement - but Ottawa refused.
"I don't understand why the government isn't willing to hold a public
consultation on the importation of this very dangerous substance," she said.

has repeatedly said this shipment is for testing purposes only.
"We are not committed to anything beyond the testing. The testing is covered
under existing regulatory authority. If there is ever to be any further
commercial activity, it would be subject to a full environmental health and
safety review," Goodale said during question period in the House of Commons
last October.
With that in mind, AECL's Shewchuck said he can't understand why anyone
would want to hold public consultations now.
"Given the small amount of material concerned, why would we invest
taxpayers' money to conduct a lengthy and expensive public consultation
until we decide we want to go ahead with the plan? That doesn't make very
much sense to me."
But that's not good enough for Danyluk, who said the MUC might be more
receptive to the plan if it had been briefed and consulted on it.
Here is a glossary of terms
- Plutonium: A radioactive chemical element that is recovered from
irradiated nuclear waste (spent fuel). The waste is dissolved in nitric acid
to separate the pure plutonium. It is estimated that about 300,000 kilograms
of plutonium are produced every year in nuclear power plants.
First discovered at the University of California at Berkeley in 1940,
plutonium does not occur in nature except in minute quantities. The metal is
silvery in appearance, but tarnishes to a yellow colour when exposed to
oxygen. It is also a natural heat source, and large enough pieces are
capable of boiling water.
The main use for plutonium has been as the primary explosive ingredient in
nuclear weapons. In its pure form, the element emits intense radioactive
particles and is highly toxic.
- Uranium: Constitutes about two parts per million of the Earth's crust
throughout the world, but particularly in Canada, the United States and
Russia.
Uranium is a malleable white metal that tarnishes with exposure to air and
can burst into flames when finely divided. The world's first uranium mine
was at Port Radium, N.W.T. and Canada remains the world's largest producer
and exporter.
The element is the main source of fuel for nuclear reactors. It is also
radioactive. Long-term and/or unprotected exposure can lead to various forms
of cancer.
- MOX: Short for mixed-oxide fuel, MOX is a mixture of about 3-per-cent
plutonium and 97-per-cent uranium, which can be used in nuclear reactors for
the production of electricity. It is routinely used for power generation in
a number of European countries. In solid form it is only very weakly
radioactive.
- Nuclear power: Fission reactions used to generate steam that flows through
turbogenerators to produce electricity. In the fission process, the nucleus
of a uranium atom is split to release heat, which produces the steam.
Similar techniques are used to produce nuclear chain reactions, which create
the powerful explosions of nuclear weapons.
In Canada, only three provinces use nuclear-power generation: Ontario has 22
nuclear reactors while Quebec and New Brunswick each have one.
Nuclear power plants discharge about 30 tonnes of highly radioactive spent
fuel per reactor per year. Effective methods of disposing of nuclear waste
have yet to be found, so currently it is sealed in containers and buried in
isolated areas.
- On the World Wide Web:
Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd: www.aecl.ca
Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility: www.ccnr.org
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission: www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca
Campaign for Nuclear Phaseout: www.cnp.ca
International Atomic Energy Agency: www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/
United States Department of Energy: www.doe-md.com
Russian Ministry of Atomic Energy (Minatom):
www.x-atom.ru/minatom/min_eng.html

<SNIP>

> Sincerely,
>
> Jaro Franta, P.Eng.
>
> Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this communication reflect only
> those of the author and do not represent those of his employer, AECL, or
> anyone else.

<SNIP>