Re: Radioactive material in film developer

In a message dated 07/11/2000 9:29:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mlantz33@cybertrails.com writes:

<< Would guess that it might be K-40.>>

That's my first best guess too, based on the constituents.  Potassium, which
is not artificially enriched in K-40 is not regulated in California...nor,
would I guess that it would be in any of the other 50 states.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com

 Mike Lantz

 Janzow1@aol.com wrote:

 > Radsafers:
 >          Does anyone know what in industrial X-ray developer is
radioactive?

 >          We inadvertantly allowed a 5-gallon tank of a standard industrial
 > X-ray film
 > developer to evaporate to dryness.  Since the location was adjacent to an
 > area in which there may be wipable aloha-active material, we checked the
 > residue (a tan-colored, granular material) for activity prior to disposal,
 > No alpha, but significant beta-gamma, on the order of 35 pCi/gm (1.3
Bq/gm).