Re: Nuclear Power

Not from the anti nuclear people.  They will continue to fan the flames of fear
of femtorems in the public's mind forever!  However, the general public will
learn that low doses of radiation and nuclear power plants are safe if we in the
nuclear industry only will say so, often and loudly.  Each time there is a media
communication that says or implies nuclear power or low doses are not safe, one
or many of us must counter that assertion with our own that says clearly and
unambiguously that they are safe.  Not that there is low risk.  No "On the one
hand there are benefits, and on the other hand there are risks."  The public
doesn't "get" that.  All  that does is reinforce the public's idea that they
aren't safe.  Just say nuclear power is safe and low doses are safe.  The public
will eventually understand.  It'll take a while.  The antis will scream.  But, if
the truth is told often enough, the public will get it.  And the truth is low
doses and nuclear power are safe, in the same general way that all "safe" things
are safe such as flying, driving, swimming, bicycling, pesticides, prescription
drugs, etc.  Even a nuclear weapon explosion is safe if you stay far enough away
from it.  I know.  I worked at the Nevada Test Site during atmospheric nuclear
weapons testing and experienced many nuclear explosions up close and personal.
Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net