Re: Magnetic Resistant Survey Meters

The 440RF will not function in a high magnetic field.  It will drive the
dynamic capacitor crazy!

The question of an instrument working in a high magnetic field is
complicated to answer.  It is not only the magnitude of the field (just
what is meant by HIGH) but the extent as well - ie. how much of the
instrument will be in the field.

For the "grab it out of your hand" high field covering a large area -
almost no instrument will work.

Use TLDs

Otherwise try:

Find something with a representative field strength that is known cold -
by TLD measurement - put a check source on the instrument and put it
into the field and see if the reading is stable.  Remember in SOME cases
the "structure" you are surveying MAY also shield against background.

We went through this often with the decommissioning of the Bevatron.