Re: Chernobyl Exposure Patient

At 04:56 PM 7/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>It seems to me that the symptoms, as described, are consistent with
>the gastro-intestinal syndrome. The level of dose  to cause this ia
>greater than the hematopoietic syndrome. I would suspect that these
>symptoms would not be continual at this point in time after receiving
>this "assumed" exposure.
>
>Sounds like this individual should be referred to REACTS for
>consultation, and not to a radiation oncologists. They are generally
>not trained in accident dose management of any kind.

>Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
>Director, Technical				Extension 2306
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
>ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

>ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>
>Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

Dear Sany and Radsafers:

The GI syndrome begins a few days after exposure, and everyone dies pretty
soon afterwards.  Even if they were "cured", they would come down with the
hemopoietic syndrome later, which would kill them.  It is 10 years or so
since the Cernobyl accident.  This patient needs a standard GI workup.  He
could have a cancer induced by the radiation, but he can't have GI syndrome.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>