RE: Exposure from a typical ER x-ray

For a "typical" adult patient in our E.R., which has common x-ray machines
whose total beam filtration is about 2.6 mm Al eq., some representative
estimated ESE's and mean doses (averaged through the thickness of the body
part and using grids) are:

Exam			Thickness	SID		ESE		Mean
Dose
AP skull		18 cm		44 in		179 mR	39 mrad