Re: Spiked Fish for Gamma Spec

Its been a few years since I worked in a radiochemistry but we would
take the entire fish and grind it up in a regular meat grinder.
Formaldehyde is added as a presevative. Three separate sub-samples are
prepared. A specified amount of EPA-supplied "spike" is added to one
of the subsamples.  The second subsample is used as a duplicate. For
vegetation, we used shredded bio-bags saturated with the std soln, it
was as close appoximation we could come up with that would not
decompose with the addition of formaldehyde.
Robin Cooksey
rcooksey@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
Texas Department of Health
Bureau of Radiation Control