Re: civil penalty for medical violation

In a message dated 7/20/2000 11:04:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
csmarcus@ucla.edu writes:

<< The new Part 35, which was supposed to be an improvement over the previous
mess, merely became a mechanism for the NRC staff to ram in all kinds of junk
that they wanted to put in to INCREASE the nonsense, cost, and senseless
busywork.  They also concocted a bizarre and vicious structure that de facto
turns human error into about 3 "willful violations of safety requirements",
setting up medical entities for a vicious onslaught of NRC propaganda.   >>
 AND MUCH MORE.

Well, that was refreshing.

While I do not share Carol's apparent enmity toward the NRC, I do think we
have a professional obligation to address this problem.  It seems to me that
allowing our attention ("our attention" to include that of both
licensees/operators and regulators) to be diverted from safety to compliance
with arbitrary rules without an outcry undermines our ethics and credibility.
 Every dollar that is spent on meaningless forms and repetitive training is
one not spent on protecting people from real hazards.  As a result, real
people get hurt while we engage in navel-gazing.  The system will never be
perfect, but I think we have gone way over the edge.

So, HPS, EFCOG, NRC, DOE, EPA, AMA, NUMARC, etc., any thoughts?

Lew LaGarde
offtowy@aol.com