RE: NIRS anti-nuclear activity summer 2000

I seem to recall a similar situation in GA ... as I recall the situation, it is illegal not to post / label something that requires posting or labeling, but it is NOT illegal to "overpost" or "overlabel" (i.e. post or label something that doesn't require posting or labeling). I recall, however, that the situation did not involve transportation ... and I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of DOT hazardous materials labeling / placarding regulations to know whether labeling / placarding something as radioactive when it is not is a violation.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> LGrimm@ADMIN.UCLA.EDU 7/21/2000 16:15:22 >>>
Zach Clayton or any other Radsafer:

Out of curiosity, can you point to a reg that prohibits mislabeling?  I ran
into the problem with anti's doing it in Washington State when I was a
regulator there (late 1970's). We went to the State's Attorney General, and
were advised that there was nothing that prohibited mislabeling.  The regs
clearly stated when a posting was required, but nothing about mislabeling.
Has a regulation been promulgated since then?

Years later, as the RSO at a university, I was cited by the Agreement State
for "superfluous" signs.  I beat the citation based on the above rationale.
I do not condone the misuse of a warning sign, but as far as I can tell,
there is no regulation prohibiting the misuse.

Larry Grimm
UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division
*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051
*	On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605
*	Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th
Fl, Box 951605, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1605
*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not
UCLA's.