Teaching the Doc's

    Regarding suggestions that the health physics community play a role in educating physicians on radiation effects, I wonder just what we should teach them? It is my personal opinion, for example, that the consequences of a few diagnostic x-rays, or any other radiation exposure  within the range of variation of natural background (<100 mrem/yr) should be considered trivial and  never be the reason to justify termination of pregnancy. I think the widespread practice of abortions in Europe following Chernobyl was an abomination
    Yet, how can I tell people that this is the case, when  official agencies of the U.S. government  have established rules  (i.e. 15 mrem/yr cleanup levels, 4 mrem/yr drinking water standards, ALARA, etc. ) requiring the expenditure of vast sums of money to avoid similar low-level exposures. If such low exposure levels were trivial, why would such restrictions be required?