Re: Teaching the Doc's

At 02:36 PM 7/22/00 -0500, you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BFF3D8.C3C1B280
>
>    Regarding suggestions that the health physics community play a role =
>in educating physicians on radiation effects, I wonder just what we =
>should teach them? It is my personal opinion, for example, that the =
>consequences of a few diagnostic x-rays, or any other radiation exposure =
> within the range of variation of natural background (<100 mrem/yr) =
>should be considered trivial and  never be the reason to justify =
>termination of pregnancy. I think the widespread practice of abortions =
>in Europe following Chernobyl was an abomination
>    Yet, how can I tell people that this is the case, when  official =
>agencies of the U.S. government  have established rules  (i.e. 15 =
>mrem/yr cleanup levels, 4 mrem/yr drinking water standards, ALARA, etc. =
>) requiring the expenditure of vast sums of money to avoid similar =
>low-level exposures. If such low exposure levels were trivial, why would =
>such restrictions be required?
>
>------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BFF3D8.C3C1B280
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dkoi8-r" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
><META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=3DGENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Regarding suggestions that =
>the=20
>health physics community play a role in educating physicians on =
>radiation=20
>effects, I wonder just what we should teach them? It is my personal =
>opinion, for=20
>example, that the consequences of a few diagnostic x-rays, or any other=20
>radiation exposure&nbsp; within the range of variation of natural =
>background=20
>(&lt;100 mrem/yr) should be considered trivial and&nbsp; never be the =
>reason to=20
>justify termination of pregnancy. I think the widespread practice of =
>abortions=20
>in Europe following Chernobyl was an abomination</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yet, how can I tell people =
>that this=20
>is the case, when&nbsp; official agencies of the U.S. government&nbsp; =
>have=20
>established rules&nbsp; (i.e. 15 mrem/yr cleanup levels, 4 mrem/yr =
>drinking=20
>water standards, ALARA, etc. ) requiring the expenditure of vast sums of =
>money=20
>to avoid similar low-level exposures. If such low exposure levels were =
>trivial,=20
>why would such restrictions be required?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
>------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BFF3D8.C3C1B280--

Dear Jerry:

Go ahead and tell them anyway.  When I teach doc and techs about NRC and EPA
requirements, I teach them how to analyze how scientifically worthless and
self-serving they are.  Most docs assume that there is some scientific basis
for these requirements. When I explain that there aren't any (and for the
"medical" program this is certainly true), that's a few more educated
sceptics added to the army.

Ciao, Carol