Re: "Scientific Evidence"

At 02:25 PM 7/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Jerry,
>
> > I wonder just what would constitute "scientific evidence". Suppose, for
> > example, that a person received a small radiation exposure (<10 rem) at
> > their work, and years later developed cancer. Since radiogenic cancer is
> > generally  indistinguishable from other cancers how could radiation
> etiology
> > be either proved or disproved?
There may not be a good scientific answer.  However, Wakeford R et al in
Health Physics  1998; vol 74(1)   pages 1-9 describe a system based on
probability of causation which was negotiated in the UK and is aimed at
providing workers with "fair compensation" for radiation injury.
Ivor Surveyor  [isurveyor@vianet.net.au]