Re: Radiation overexposure to the X-ray beam of a difractometer affected the hands of three workers in Camacari, Brazil.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the information.  Could you please check the
web link to the article?  When I tried it I got an error message.

Dave Derenzo

At 03:42 AM 8/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Radiation overexposure to the X-ray beam of a difractometer affected the
>hands of three workers in Camacari, Brazil.
>N.J. de L. Valverde, M.C. de Lucena, C.H. Briglian, A.R. de Oliveira
>Revista da Associacao Medica Brasileira, Janeiro/Marco de 2000
>
>Summary
>

>The patients's clinical pictures, characterized by an erythema preceding the
>skin
>manifestations, their aspect and the occupational histories, made the
>diagnosis of a radiation accident possible before its dosimetric
>identification. Doses evaluations using thermoluminescents dosimeters and
>ionizing chambers correlated well with the clinical estimations.
>The immediate cause of the accident was poor maintenance of the device that
>caused its back window to be permanentely open, but lack of adequate
>information on the biological effects of ionizing radiation and on the
>correct operational procedures were contributory facts.
>The description of this accident is relevant in virtue of the misconcept
>that such equipment have "virtually no occupational risk".
>The patients's medical evolutions have had a favorable course, specially
>because the low energy of the X-ray and its low penetrating capacity.
>This accident highlights the need for the adequate training of workers on
>the handling of radiation devices. [Rev Ass Med Bras 2000; 46(1): 81-7]
>exposure. Difractometer.
>
>Complete article in Portuguese at
>http://www.amb.org/publicacao/ramb/janmarco00/pag_81.htm

   _/    _/  _/  _/_/_/_/    Dave Derenzo, MPH  (Dave@uic.edu)
   _/    _/  _/  _/            Associate Director for Radiation Safety
   _/    _/  _/  _/            University of Illinois at Chicago
   _/    _/  _/  _/            Radiation Safety Section, MC932
   _/    _/  _/  _/            820 S. Wood St., Chicago, IL 60612-7314
   _/_/_/_/  _/  _/_/_/_/  Voice:(312)996-7429  Fax:(312)996-8776