Re: It seems that my previous message was incomplete - here is the

Hello Du Toit. Sorry you weren't able to be at the meeting in
Hershey, PA this year.

> Therefore the possibility that you would report the length of the object
> incorrectly, and that the difference between your reported value and the
> actual value is greater than some limit (false positive) or smaller
> (false negative), would be greater (worse accuracy and precision) for
> the ruler with the 5 mm divisions.

The only argument I will put forth regarding the above (which by
itself is correct) has to do with the added factor with a dosimetry
measurement that results in a measurement by 2 or more of the same
type of dosimeters (the actual personnel dosimeter as well as 1 or
more Control badges). Each dosimeter has its own unique set of
variables that all contribute to a measurement of uncertainty, and
when combined, based on the lower limit established, are more likely
to result not only in a false positive, but also in a false negative
as well. The degree of these are based on how close to the zero point
the dosimeter can measure, and how close to the actual calculated LLD
one can measure and then use for reporting purposes.

The answer really can't be quantified, since there are numerous
variables that must be considered, including the dosimeter
manufacturer, age, lighting conditions, exposure exposed to, the
Controls, the facility background variation, the reader itself, the
irradiator used to irradiate the QA dosimeters, fading issues, etc.
These all must be considered and are far more important than the LLD,
which in the end, the calculated value is far less than what would be
in practice, used as the MRD.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205