radioactive jewelry

Greetings, all.  I received a phone call from a local reporter doing a story
on radioactivity in antiques.  She asked me what I could tell her about an
incident in Buffalo in the 1980s in which a number of rings were found to
contain radioactivity, and said that apparently law suits were filed.  She
also thought that the incident was written up in either Health Physics or
some other journal.

I have searched Quest and the HPJ WWW page, but have been unable to find any
reference to this under "jewelry".  I'd really appreciate any help from
Radsafe-land on this one so I can get back to the woman to give her some
specifics as to the amount of activity, the probably dose, and expected
effects.

Thanks -

Andy

PS 	I do not get the idea that this reporter has any particular ax to
grind or that she is predisposed to think this is bad or a scandal.  I think
she's just interested.

Andrew Karam, CHP              (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer          (716) 275-3781 (office)
University of Rochester           (716) 256-0365 (fax)
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH   Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu
http://Intranet.urmc.rochester.edu/RadiationSafety

If a man never contradicts himself, the reason must be that he virtually
never says anything at all.  (Miguel de Unamuno, quoted in "What is Life?"
by Erwin Schrodinger)