Re: loosing, Tooth Fairy Project

Jerry,

I prefer to take a more optimistic view - once it is accepted that low
doses are beneficial, the increased use of things radioactive will
more than compensate for any jobs lost due to the down-sizing of
radiation protection organisational structures.  Certainly in the
health care field, there will be a great need for 'booster' radiation
facilities, to aid in preventing cancers, and again, in treating
cancers, whole body and half body low dose radiation to stimulate the
body's defense mechanisms should also become standard, bringing more
work.  And we'll still have to track total exposures, to make sure the
'boosters' don't take anyone over the optimum levels.

In the nuclear power field, once attitudes are changed, there would be
a great increase in construction of nuclear power stations, providing
many jobs managing radiation....  I'm sure there are more examples.

In any case, I don't feel comfortable with the idea that my salary
comes from a misguided paranoia about things radioactive, and I am
trying to change it around so I can work towards promoting the use of
radiation as a positive benefit to health.

Even as I write the new documentation required under Canada's new
ultra-restrictive radiation regulations, I am including material from
reputable National and International government publications which
show that low level radiation is not a problem, and as more positive
materials become available, I will reference them, too.  Thus all the
instruction given to hospital staff will not have the LNT slant
without a reference to hormesis, etc.

It will take some time, so change will be gradual.

Regards,

Chris Davey

--
RSO / LSO Cross Cancer Institute 11560 University Avenue
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 1Z2