Re: Warning - long Rant ahead

At 11:52 04.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I suppose I'm in minority of the respondents to this thread when I say
that I disagree AND to find that I disagree with Ruth and Al MUST be a
first (!).

>I, too, find the technical information presented on RADSAFE to be
extremely informative and helpful; however, I find it difficult to
understand how one can effectively separate the technical from the social ¯
when at the root of what we do and why we do it (technical things) is the
manifestation of a social or political belief, interpretations based on
environmental or human philosophy, or just plain grasping at straws.

>The eventually tactical decisions that are made ¯ how to analyze an air
sample, whom to provide a TLD, how to deal with waste ¯- all stem from
strategic POLICY decisions that are generally NOT based on demonstrative
science ¯ but on the NEW science or the science of feeling and opinion.

To take any social competence from people involved with radiation
protection principles would be exactly, what the anti's want. They use to
discriminate us as one track minded, who do not see the environmental and
social consequences of our work. To restrict RADSAFE to technical questions
like analytical methods and exchange of instruments etc. would be mean
death of a powerful voice against unprofessional and unjustified accusations.

If anybody wants to open a separate discussion forum, he is welcome. I
would not join it, but would post ethical and basic questions to RADSAFE as
long as I would not be banned from the list.

Melissa, do you have an opinion on this?

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458