Re: loosing, Tooth Fairy Project

In the proceedings on an NEA workshopN:659.4, 1987, “ Public Understanding
of Radiation Protection Concepts”,  Vincent Covello, wrote at the begin of
his paper "Informing People about Radiation Risks:  A Review of Obstacles to
Public Understanding and Effective Risk Communication":

"The goal of informing the public about radiation  risks seems easy in
principle but surprisingly difficult in practice"
To be effective, according with Covello, government and industry officials
must overcome a number of significant obstacles. I'll mention three
discussed by him:
a) Limitation of government officials, industry officials an other sources
of information about radiation risks;
b) Limitations of human mind in assimilating and understanding information
about radiation risks
c) Limitation of media in reporting information about radiation risks;

I do believe, after  more than 10 years of Chernobyl lessons learned, that
many lessons  we did not learn yet, nevertheless we wrote about them, Taking
into account the items a, b, c of  Covello’s paper, in my opinion,   the
best improvement was from media, as we could learn recently in the Tokaimura
and Thailand accidents.

Another point concerning the item a, above, I learned in Goiania, when
public told me: “Government spikes by means of abstract jargons”

To finalize, about three weeks ago I sent an e-mail to the IAEA suggesting
by the year 2000 an International Conference on Communications, based on the
recent IAEA (April 1999) TECDOC 1076 - Communications on nuclear, radiation,
transport and waste safety. This document was sent to more than 100
RADSAFFERS that have requested it.

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel