Re: "Anti-nuke clamor"

Hi All,
I have followed this thread with quite a bit of amusement. For several
years now, Joe Alvarez and I have been pointing out that going from
a linear to a nonlinear model of radiation carcinogenesis does not put
HPs out of a job.  Actually, it makes their job more demanding and,
therefore, more interesting!  The main fact is that all of a sudden you
cannot use event doses any more, you have to use the total accumu-
lated dose (up to the event) for every receptor, and that is quite a job.
Also, as we have shown, the raw Japanese bomb survivor data is
hormetic before it is manipulated by the RERF to yield relative risks.
If you use a hormetic model, the hormetic part of the dose-effect
relationship yields quite a challenge: You as the HP become the dose
manager for each receptor under your care. You may even have to
recommend additional exposures for the optimal risk for a particular
receptor!  We have spoken on this subject several times, and so has
John Cameron.  Joe and I hope to send a corresponding MS out as
fast as we can.

Have a nice weekend!

Fritz

--