Response to previous postings

Here is my response, to questions asked and opinions expressed by
Steven Dapra, Lawrence Grimm and Otto Raabe, all dated August 4, 2000.

I earned a PhD in physics from the University of Amsterdam,the Netherlands
(early 50s), specializing in beta and gamma ray spectroscopy for
interpreting and testing the nuclear shell model. My academic research
interests in this country (since late 50s) extended to include solid
state physics and more recently critical reviews of the literature on
health effects from chronic low-dose exposures, external and internal from
radioactive fallout, including analyses of health surveys of Hanford
Downwinders. My publications number more than 50, the majority in
refereed scientific journals. My interest in the subject of radiation health
effects was aroused by questions asked by students in courses
that included energy generation and efficiency. They wanted to know about
the safety of nuclear power generation and of the storage of nuclear
waste. My knowledge was insufficient to give responsible answers.So, I
studied the relevant radiation epidemiology literature.Soon, I was struck
by contradictions, the withholding of clearly "open questions" and the
selective inclusions or omissions of references for the obvious purpose of
claiming "firm" conclusions,mostly concerning the absence of
detriment.This has held for research reports, official summaries such as
by BEIR, ICRP and UNSCEAR and summaries written by "experts" for such
journals as JAMA, etc. I became suspicious of strong influences of
extra-scientific considerations in the design, choice of statistical
methodology and the presentation of conclusions. My findings were
published (1).
  My suspicions about the scientific reliability of most
of the radiation health studies (practically all sponsored by DOE or other
federal agencies with interests in the promotion of nuclear technology)
found confirmation in several extensively documented reports, a few of
which are listed below. (2-7).(This does not mean acceptance of all
conclusions by these authors.) Over the years, the most significant but
contentious alternative interpretations of observed data and findings by
recognized researchers, later maligned and written off as "unscientific",
such as Gofman, Tamplin, Mancuso, Morgan, Stewart and now Wing, have been
confirmed bit by bit by other epidemiological studies among
children, X-rayed in utero,among nuclear workers or among populations exposed
to the Chernobyl fallout, at large distances from the explosion (7).RERF
scientists no longer deny that the A-bomb survivors were "a highly
selected population"(9), or that other serious diseases appear to be
associated with radiation (10). Stewart showed that these A-bomb survivors
are a special, non-homogeneous population, that is not representative of a
general population for evaluation of risk for radiation protection purposes.
These findings from a new analysis of the A-bomb survivor data  have just
been published (11).
My doubts, as well as those expressed by a group of independent scientists
(12) about published interpretations of DOE-sponsored nuclear worker
studies, were recently supported by 15 public health scientists from 12
federal agencies (13). DOE based its plan for injured worker compensation
on this NEC report. In summary, my reading of the credible findings
contradicts claims for both hormesis by low-dose radiation and for the
existence of a zero-effect dose range (threshold)(14).