RE: Open letter to Energy Secretary Bill Richardson ...

Not so fast.  Which regulation is it that specifies a dose limit for
radiation workers of some value less than 80 mSv in a year to portions of
the lung, or even the entire lung?

The most recent information I've seen (NCRP-95) gives the dose from Po-210
in tobacco smoke as 160 mSv, and the tissues receiving this dose are the
sections of the bronchial epithelium at bifurcations receiving the maximum
dose.

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca

<snip>

> When are you or someone else in our government going to tell the American
> public who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day that they receive a dose of
> alpha emitting ionizing radiation directly to living lung tissue of 8,000
> millirem of dose per year? This is more than an occupational nuclear
> worker is allowed to receive in one year.

<snip>