Re: Sweden nuke thread vs. Mercury in coal airborne impacts

Aug. 8, 2000

	In late 1999 I happened upon an website article ("Coal Combustion") by
Alex Gabbard of ORNL.  We exchanged some e-mails, and he told me that the
mean concentration of mercury in coal has been reported as 0.335 ppm.  The
Radium Project posting (below) assumes 1 ppm.

	The Four Corners power plant (in northwestern NM) releases 528 pounds of
mercury annually from 8.5 million tons of coal per year.  It is the tenth
largest power plant in the country.  (These figures are from an online
article in the Albq. (NM) Journal (12-13-99)).  The plant burns
sub-bituminous coal.

	The EPA estimates that 52 tons of mercury per year are emitted from
coal-fired plants in the U. S.  The EPRI estimates 47 tons per year.  EPA
estimates about 158 tons per year of anthropogenic mercury emissions in the
U. S.  EPA also estimates 5000 to 5500 tons per year world-wide of mercury
emissions.  (These figures are from "Mercury Emissions from Coal-Fired
Power Plants," an article that was on the web page of the Center for Energy
and Economic Development.  The article is no longer posted.  I checked
tonight.)

Steven Dapra
sjd@swcp.com