RE: The "From" bug strikes again :-)

Ruth,
> Peenemunde was the German rocket testing/development site where Werner Von
> Braun & Co. worked -- it had nothing to do with nuclear
> science/technology.
I believe you really meant the bombing of the Norsk Hydro heavy water plant
in Norway (forget the name of the nearby town), which did indeed put an end
to the nuclear work, right ?
As for enrichment, from what I have read the Germans did very little work in
that field -- they seemed to consider protactinium-231 (similar to
plutonium) extraction from uranium ores slightly more practical, but still
an impossibly difficult task in the circumstances at the time. ( You see
Pa-231 mentioned in several instances in the Farm Hall transcripts, as well
as the interned scientists' skepticism about the US A-bomb success - knowing
how enormously difficult U-enrichment or Pa-231 extraction would have been
at the time...  but Alvin Weinberg confirmed in a letter published in
Physics Today some years ago that even the Manhattan Project people
considered "topping off" their U-235 or Pu-239 with Pa-231, should either
production method - calutron enrichment or reactor uranium conversion - fail
to supply adequate amounts of fissile material. This was early on, before
both techniques proved very successful  ).
Jaro