Re: " Austria Urges Suspension At Czech Nuke Plant After Incident "

At 06:39 09.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>http://www.centraleurope.com/czechtoday/news.php3?id=187216
>Austria Urges Suspension At Czech Nuke Plant After Incident
>VIENNA, Aug 9, 2000 -- (Agence France Presse) Austrian Environment Minister
>Wilhelm Molterer urged Czech authorities Tuesday to suspend testing of its
>Temelin nuclear power station after an incident at the plant not far from
>the Austrian border.

Jaroslav, do not take this too serious. Even the worst anti-nuclear
boulevard paper (Kronenzeitung) mentions in todays edition only a small
note, citing a green comment, on page 15 (fifteen!).

>Austria last year had a similar dispute with neighboring Slovakia over the
>Mochovce nuclear plant, also not far >from the Austrian border,

The situation was very similar than it is now with Temelin, even regarding
the reaction of the "Kronenzeitung". As soon as Mochovce was started, there
was only a very small not in this paper and ever since this "life
threatening time bomb" obviously has ceased to be of concern.
Politician have to react somehow in order to please the Greens and socalled
"Environment protectionists" (these are people who advocate coal, solar and
wind power - with other words, the real polluters).

 threatening
>in vain to veto an EU invitation to begin membership talks with Bratislava.

This was also to please the above mentioned groups and it was a very weak
spectacle, because there was practical no reaction except negative ones
from the EU and nobody seriously would now bring forward such an argument
in the EU again.

It seems that the press is exaggerating everywhere in the world, when it is
the question of nuclear power!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458