From: "Patricia Milligan" <PXM@nrc.gov>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: Why study baby teeth?

> Norm,
>   you said  "  Oyster Creek, which has one of the highest rates of
radiation emmissions over its lifetime," and yet you don't state a reference
or what you are comparing it to or even what you mean when you say "one of
the highest rates of radiation emmissions"  Oyster Creek in fact has a low
rate of releases of radioactive effluent and since 1980 (not exactly sure of
that date but it was right around then) has been committed to being a "zero
liquid discharge" plant, which means that liquid effluents  were processed
and shipped for burial.    There have been a few  ( and I can only think of
3 or 4 but there may have been a few more)  unplanned liquid discharges of
the most minor consequences and well below regulatory release limits.   The
gaseous effluents have also been quite low.  I know this for a fact because
for 13 years I worked at Oyster Creek Nuclear Station and one of my job
responsibilities was the Reg Guide 1.21 Annual Effluent Report.  The doses
to the public from !
> the effluent discharges at Oyster Creek  were  mere fractions of the  EPA
limits.  The Annual Effluent reports, which detail doses, radionuclide
releases (quantities as well as isotopes released), wastes shipped offsite,
as well as abnormal releases are on the public docket and available for your
review.