Re: Natural vs. Man-made

My one-a-day, this time about Norm.

Jay has given Norm a simple explanation that anyone with even a basic understanding
of chemistry and the periodic table should be able to comprehend. Other people tried to
do this several months ago, with no success.

To truly believe in the TFP model, you myst do one of two things,

1) Believe in the selectomatic table of chemistry, (it lets you select the properties, ad hoc.)

2) Have an almost religious conviction that your cause is just, no matter what.

Several people tried talking to Norm some time ago over just this subject, with obviously
zero success. It was at that time that I concluded that i was talking to a religious zealot.
(At the time Norm took umbrage at my calling his campaign a "jihad" but I fully believe  it
accuratly describes Norm's actions, that of persistince in a belief despite logical refutation.)

Norm's refusal to listen to logic is the reason he's in my kill file. I cant' waste my time.

BTW, a really  good example of a scientific Jihad is the creationist attempt to account for galaxies being more that a few thousand light years away. Simple. You postulate an exponential decay of the speed of light, with the speed 10000 times greater at the time of God's creation of the universe.  (do a web search for 'decay in the speed of light' for some fascinating stuff.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist, Gammex RMI
fborger@gammex.com   phn: 608-828-7289 fax: 608-828-7500
Why Myron Floren never joined the Cavalry
"Have the accordion player sound the charge!"... "He can't sir, he
took a bullet in the bellows during 'Lady of Spain.'" - Dave Barry

>>> "MacLellan, Jay A" <jay.a.maclellan@pnl.gov> August 11, 2000 11:55 >>>
Norm's contention:

"Part of the TFP's theory is that man-made radiation, like I-131 and
Sr-90, go to specific parts of the body, the thyroid and teeth/bones in these
cases. There they continue to emit radiation and harm the immune system. Thus
these radionucleides (sic) are 'different' than natural radiation which just
passes through the body once."

Norm, it isn't just that we don't agree with this, there is no scientific basis
for it.  All elements behave the way they do because of their chemistry.
Uranium is ubiquitous in the environment (you can interpret that as natural).
If you ingest some (and you do every day), about 20% is absorbed, and the rest
passes through the body.  Of the absorbed fraction about 25% is preferentially
taken up by bone, 25% by the kidneys, and 25% by other soft tissue.  The
remainder stays in the circulation and is excreted.  The absorbed fractions are
also removed from the body with set biological half-lives, and excreted.  If you
ingest plutonium similar things happen, only the absorbed fraction is 0.01%
instead of 20%, and the distribution in the given organs is different.  The
other 99.99% just passes through the body once.  If the basis for the TFP is as
you state, those responsible for the research are either ignorant or dishonest.
END OF STORY.  But of course, that is just my personal opinion.

Jay A. MacLellan, CHP
Radiation and Health Technology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Phone:  509-376-7247