Re: Release Limits for SR-90

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Biela" <BielaD@wv.doe.gov>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2000 8:43 AM
Subject: Release Limits for SR-90

> I have a question about DOE sites interpretation of Appendix D of 10CFR835
"Surface Contamination Values"

> West Valley was a former fuel reprocessing facility.  We currently use the
5,000 dpm/100cm-2 Total (fixed + removable) limit from appendix D.  What I
am trying to find out from all the DOE facilities is:

> 1.  Which (fixed + removable) limit do you use for beta and why?
> 2.  If you are dealing with mixed fission products and use the 5000 limit,
do you use the 1000 limit in any areas such as LABS where Sr-90 extraction
is taking place or after ion exchange processes (even if it is a Cs removal
process that leaves you with a remaining effluent which technically has a
higher Sr-90 ratio after the ion exchange process) etc.
> 3.  If you are dealing with mixed fission products and use the 1000 limit
why?
> 4.  What is your general interpretation of note #5 in the same appendix as
it applies to Sr-90 in mixed fission products.

> " This category of radio nuclides includes mixed fission products,
including the Sr-90 which is present in them.  It does not apply to Sr-90
which has been separated FROM the other fission products or mixtures where
the Sr-90 has been enriched. "

!