Science and the rest - opinion!

OPINION - Delete if you like!

Just my two cents:

While I practice science, to a small degree, as a profession and consider it
the clearest lens for seeing into the reality of our universe, most people
do not, in my opinion.  Science, for many people, is hard and mysterious and
often indecipherable - I have a hell of a time explaining to my wife why we
can see into the past when we look at stars (or at anything, for that
matter), for example.  Most scientific developments first meet with
scepticism and ridicule - ask Galileo and Einstein.  Sometimes people just
believe what they want to, maybe because in other areas of their life, this
is an acceptable way of things (like choosing a religion or philosophy of
life or what charity to donate to).

I'm not a great scientist or talker - I won't spend the effort to try to
convince others of much of anything if they put up an argument; who knows, I
could be wrong.  And I just accept that there will always be "opponents" of
any controversial scientific idea, and they will often have more influence
than the scientists, maybe because the movers and shakers are rarely of a
scientific bent; kind of an "us versus them" things all too often, I'm
afraid.

And to be fair, an elected official is supposed to be the voice of the
people - if most of the people can't get the concept, whatever it is, the
politician/civil servant who does is suddenly in the minority, and may lose
his/her job because of it, if a difficult, unpopular choice/policy must be
made/established.  Would you risk your job?  I'm not sure I would -
scientific and technical accuracy just aren't the only games being played in
the world.  Scientific accuracy does not necessarily connote "rightness" in
a situation.  This certainly isn't an excuse for some of the silly positions
our field is put in by law-makers, but I understand how it happens and that
I can't dot every i and cross every t.  In the big picture, rad safety is
usually small potatoes, and well it should be.  We're lucky that when it
does matter, we have science to back us up and tell us what is right - many
professions are without this luxury.

Opposing views are eagerly anticipated - save the flames for expaining
phlogiston.  (Spelling comments are invited).

Scott Hudson
scott.hudson@cpe.amedd.army.mil