Subject: Thorium compound in soil
Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu> at SMTPGate
Date:    08/11/2000 3:55 PM

Hello RadSafers;

I received a request for guidance from a friend who works in a facility
in an agreement state that uses a (non-RCRA) thorium compound.  They
have been deemed exempt from licensing by the State, but they no longer
need to use this compound and decided to radiologically assess their
facilty as a CYA.  To make a long story short, they discovered that the
exhaust from their central vacuum system, which vents outside the
building, has contaminated a patch of ground outside on the order of
about 30-35 pCi/g (Th-228 + Th-232).  They have already decided to
remediate the soil, but they want to know if they must (or should)
notify any governmental entity.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

Paul

"If your experiment requires the use of statistics, you should have done
a better experiment"
-Ernest Lord Rutheford
--
Paul R. Steinmeyer