History: USS Mendel Rivers -Reply

Thanks for the info.  The LMR was the first of the three submarines that I
served on (5/75 to 11/77) and the last (now) to be decommissioned.
Lots of memories there.

Terry Wilkerson
tmwf16a@aol.com

>>> "Mike Grissom" <mpg1@coastside.net> 08/10/00 09:02pm >>>
radsafe'rs (and the numerous ex-Navy nukes on the list),

The following obituary (of a sort) was in the 8/10/00 NAVAL
MEDIA CENTER NavNews (I can remember when I left
Subron 3/Flot 1 this boat was still in construction!!).
This marks a milepost in Navy nuclear power--the last
Sturgeon-class nuclear-powered submarine is now history:

----------
NNS3405. Navy bids farewell to USS L. Mendel Rivers
By Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet Public Affairs

    NORFOLK, Va. (NNS) -- After more than 25 years of
service to the nation, the Navy and the Submarine Force, the
nuclear-powered attack submarine USS L. Mendel Rivers (SSN
686) was honored July 28 during inactivation ceremonies at
Naval Station Norfolk's Pier 22.

    "A good ship is hard to put down and the Rivers is the
best; made that way by the efforts of past and present
crews," said Cmdr. David A. Portner, commanding officer of
Rivers, during his opening remarks.

    Built by the Newport News Shipyard and Drydock Company,
Rivers was commissioned Feb. 1, 1975. It was the second-to-
last of the Sturgeon-class submarines commissioned and is
the last of the class to be inactivated.

    The ship was named for the South Carolina congressman
who served as chairman of the House Armed Services Committee
in the 89th, 90th and 91st Congresses. Congressman Rivers
was an outspoken advocate of nuclear propulsion for
submarines and aircraft carriers.

    Commissioning commanding officer, retired Capt. Roderick
Wolfe, said that L. Mendel Rivers, the man, was a staunch
supporter of the Navy, and that "we need more people like
him today."

    Captain Frank M. Drennan, Submarine Squadron 6
commander, commented on the number of past crewmembers and
commanding officers in attendance.

    "The camaraderie and spirit of the LMR is demonstrated
by everyone here who's been part of the crew," Drennan said.
"LMR has had the perfect match of machine, man, leadership
and spirit throughout three decades."

    From the time of its commissioning, Rivers has played a
substantial role in protecting the peace throughout the Cold
War and has completed two Arctic deployments, eight North
Atlantic deployments and eight Mediterranean deployments.

    Admiral Richard W. Mies, commander in chief, U.S.
Strategic Command, was the principle speaker at the event.
Mies was River's engineering officer in 1975. He spoke about
the commitment made by Mrs. Margaret Rivers Eastman and Mrs.
Marion Rivers Cato. The two women are the daughters of the
late Congressman Rivers and are the ship's sponsors.

    "The whole Rivers family has given us a special
feeling," Mies said to the attending audience. "It's not
like we're driving a Navy ship, but as though we are driving
their ship."

    Rivers and its crew will depart Norfolk for the last
time in September 2000 en route to decommissioning at Puget
Sound Naval Shipyard, Wash., later this fall.