From: Norman & Karen Cohen [mailto:norco@bellatlantic.net]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 9:59 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: salem radiation forum 9/8

> Hi Radsafers: Here's the announcement about our Salem Forum. Again, feel
free to attend.

Norm

>                            COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE and the UNPLUG
SALEM Campaign
>                                                               321 Barr
Ave., Linwood NJ 08221
>                                                  609-601-8583/601-8537;
norco@bellatlantic.net
>                                    www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org and
www.unplugsalem.org/

> 08/14/00
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> AND COMMUNITY CALENDARS
>
>                           UNPLUG SALEM TO HOST RADIATION HEALTH FORUM AND
BOOK SIGNING
>                                                    AT SALEM QUAKER
MEETINGHOUSE 9/8, 7:00 PM

>       Dr. Janette Sherman and Raymond Shadis will be the featured speakers
at a Forum on Radiation and Your Health, to be held on Friday, September
8th, at 7:00 PM at the Salem Quaker Meetinghouse, Route 49, in Salem NJ.
This Forum is part of the UNPLUG Salem Campaign's continuing series of
public education forums on the various problems and dangers of the to Salem
Nuclear Plants. Dr. Sherman will talk about the radiation dangers from Salem
and Hope Creek and how radiation is involved as a cause of breast and other
cancers. Ray Shadis will talk about how to go about closing a nuke plant
down, and the decommissioning issues that follow.
>       Dr Janette Sherman specializes in internal medicine and toxicology
and is the author of the newly released book: Life's Delicate Balance,
Causes and Prevention of Breast Cancer.  This new book is a follow-up to her
previous book Chemical Exposure and Disease.  Dr. Sherman will present a
slide show on the connections between radiation and cancer, the connections
between chemicals, radiation, and cancer, and how these connections relate
to people living in the shadows of the Salem and Hope Creek Nuclear Plants.
Dr. Sherman received her B.S. in both Biology and Chemistry from Western
Michigan University, and  her medical degree  from Wayne State University in
1964, followed by four years of post-graduate training. She has practiced
internal medicine and toxicology since 1970. She is currently an adjunct
professor at Western Michigan University, and continues her medical practice
in Alexandria, Virginia. Dr Sherman is the author of over 70 articles on
toxics, chemicals an!
d radiation.
>      Dr. Sherman will have copies of her new book for purchase and for
signing.
>       Ray Shadis, the other Forum speaker, is the Staff Technical Advisor
for the New England Coalition on Nuclear Pollution, and Founder of Maine's
Friends of the Coast, the group led the successful effort to shut down the
Maine Yankee Nuclear Plant.
>      Shadis will talk to the group about how to go about shutting down a
nuclear plant, and about decommissioning issues that follow shutdown. He is
one of the most able and experienced anti-nuclear activists in the nation.
>        The New England Coalition on Nuclear Pollution [NECNP],  founded in
1972,  is one of the nation's oldest and experienced
> safe-energy advocacy organizations. In his position as Staff Technical
Advisor to NECNP, Ray  Shadis is responsible for tracking and addressing
nuclear safety and environmental issues at New England's nine nuclear power
stations. Four of these reactors are permanently shutdown and undergoing
decommissioning. Shadis' duties also include interacting with the US Nuclear
Regulatory Commission [NRC], other federal agencies, and state regulators.
His office also provides information and assistance to activists and
grassroots organizations across the United States. Shadis reports handling
nuclear information queries from as far afield as India and Japan, and from
a constituency that ranges from students to retired nuclear engineers.
>      In 1995, Shadis founded the Maine environmental and nuclear-safety
group, Friends of the Coast- Opposing Nuclear Pollution. The organization
was successful in focusing regulatory, political, and media attention on
safety defects in the Maine Yankee Atomic Power Station which led to its
permanent shutdown in December 1996 and the decision by the plant's owners
to go into decommissioning in August of 1997.  Friends of the Coast is the
only citizen's environmental organization actively engaged in the Maine
Yankee decommissioning. Shadis has served since 1997 on Maine Yankee Atomic
Power Company's Citizen Advisory Panel on Decommissioning.
>      The UNPLUG Salem Campaign, founded in 1996, is composed of 84 local,
national, and regional organizations from all walks of life, from religious
to environmental to peace to college. Its goal is the immediate shut down of
the two aging and dangerous Salem Nuclear Plants. The UNPLUG Salem Campaign
also acts as a safety watchdog while the plants remain open.  UNPLUG Salem
also works to promote alternative and green forms of energy.
>        This meeting is free and open to the public, who are urged to
attend to become more informed on issues that can affect the health of their
family and children. Light refreshments will be served.

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr
Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer