Re: Salem et al -MA, NJ, Witch Hunts -"Here there everywhere"

In the 1970s, I recall reading a prescient review about the growing hysteria
among many "environmental"  groups against all things nuclear. The article
was titled: "Not since the burning of witches" by an author I can't recall
--published, I don't remember where. While it mainly focused on the
opposition to nuclear power based on exaggerated claims of radiation risk and
harm, I believe it also delved into to fears being promoted against all other
uses of nuclear science and technology.

I recall for example, that in the early 1970s, Ralph Nader came out strongly
against the use of ionization type smoke detectors claiming they were an
unacceptable radiation hazard due to the Am-241 commonly used.  He made an
absolute claim that the [trivial]  low energy x-ray doses with Am-241 in
smoke detectors, made ionization smoke detectors an  unsafe hazard. His
position was basically that radiation exposure was in effect "Unsafe at any
dose" even if there was a clear benefit from the application in question.

Thankfully the Fire Chiefs of American and every safety group involved in
preventing loss of life in fires among the general public rejected these
kinds of scare tactics involving battery powered ionization Am-241 containing
smoke detectors,  resulting in the prevention of  countless thousands of
deaths due to smoke inhalation in the last 25 years that low-cost ionization
smoke detectors have become commonplace --and required to be installed in
every apartment and home as part of a closing. Score: Consumers: 1; Ralph
Nader [et.al.]: 0.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
Warren, VT 05674