Re: A real solution

I am curious, though, about the composition of spent fuel (not my
>field).  What are the shorter half-life isotopes of concern (say those
>that will be mostly gone within 300 years) vs. the very-long half-live
>ones, and their relative proportions?  If there is a web site that
>describes the changing composition of spent fuel as it decays over time,
>I'd be interested in a reference to it.

 Appendix A of the Yucca Mountain DEIS (DOE/EIS-0250D) has an extensive
discussion.  I think it's on the web at www.ymp.gov.  Table A-10 has a list
of nuclides considered in the performance assessment.  Shorter half-life
ones on the list are tritium, Sr-90, Cs-137, Co-60, Kr-85, Nb-93m,Rh-102,
Ru-106, Cs-134, Pb-210, Ra-228, Ac-227, Cm-242, Cm-243, Cm-244, Cf-252.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com